Tax Identification Number (TIN) is a unique identification number issued to taxpayers for all official transactions. In Ghana currently, the government has given directives that every Ghanaian who is required to pay tax or could be paying tax in the near future, must get their own Tax Identification Number as it is going to be difficult in the times to come to get certain services and documents without the TIN. A TIN certificate is issued to the applicant after one has successfully applied and met all the requirements for the application.
This certificate bears the unique Tax Identification Number of the applicant, name of applicant, applicant’s address, the issuing office as well as the date of issue.
WHO CAN APPLY FOR TIN:
- Anyone aged above 18 years.
- Not only individuals but corporate institutions can also apply for a TIN.
WHAT CAN THE TIN BE USED FOR:
Having a TIN, is now a requirement in executing a lot of business activities as well as processing official personal documents. Below are some activities which require your TIN for further processing:
- To clear goods and services in commercial quantities from any port or factory in Ghana
- To file for documentation in relations to lands.
- To apply for a Tax Clearance Certificate
- To register a business/company in Ghana
- To acquire a business operating permit from District Assemblies
- To receive payment from the Controller and Accountant-Generals Departments.
- To open a bank account.
WHAT ONE NEED WHEN APPLYING FOR TIN:
- A copy of a valid ID (Voter’s ID, Passport, Driver’s License, National ID)
- Birth Town, District, Region and Country
- Mother’s full maiden name
- Detailed residential and postal address
- Email Address
- Contact numbers
- Ghana Post Address Code
SOME BENEFITS OF THE TIN:
- To process passport at the passport office.
- To process land at the Lands Commission.
- To transact business with the Registrar General’s Department.
- To file cases in court.
- To renew practicing licenses.
- To secure contracts and payments from Government and government institutions.
- To clear goods from the port.
It should also be noted that registering for a TIN is absolutely free.
Need to register for a TIN? Kindly follow this link to apply , no leg work: